Friday, December 7, 2007

The importance of loving our babies

I have a theory. Babies deprived of love/cuddling early in life can develop major personality faults.

The reason I mention this is that there was another shooting yesterday. A 19-y-o boy shot a bunch of people in a mall in Omaha yesterday and then shot himself. He left a note saying he wanted to go out in style. Anybody who decides to kill innocent strangers is someone with no feelings of empathy. I think the term for that type of person is a sociopath. How does a boy get to that state? I bet he had a bad relationship with his parents.

I am not saying parents take the blame for everything. I am sure there are organic problems in the brain that can cause people to "go off". But my point is that hurting a baby early in life leaves a scar so deep that it can't be healed. Babies left to cry unattended learn not to trust the world. They learn that the world is a cold, uncaring place. Wouldn't this person be more likely to grow up angry and violent than a baby raised in a secure, loving environment?

I remember 2 toddlers who were adopted from a Russian orphanage. This might have been 10 years ago, perhaps in California, I don't exactly recall. The children had attachment problems and were very difficult to parent. The adoptive parents were too embarrassed to admit that they could not handle the kids, and decided to murder them instead, giving them oleander leaves and claiming the boys ate them when they were outside unsupervised. So tragic.

People running covert operations would be well-advised to hire as assassins young men who were abandoned by their family. They are the ones who will be willing to kill strangers on orders from someone higher up.

What about ladies who have to go to work when their baby is 6 weeks old and needs to sublet that portion of their baby's day to hired help? I don't know that is such a good idea. I suspect data may show that babies thrust into daycare at such a young age may have problems with bonding and anxiety later in life.

Which brings me full circle to baby-wearing. My affinity for baby-wearing is not simply because I like having a baby hanging off me for most of the day. It is the easiest way for me to be sure that my new baby is receiving the cuddling/security that he needs to grow dependent and bonded to his primary caregiver, me. He can then grow independent later, when that is developmentally appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment