Wednesday, December 26, 2007

New wrap coming/wild animals

I ordered a new wrap for the baby. The navy blue Moby wrap is too stretchy to work for us much longer. Also, I wanted a thinner material for the warm weather that is part of living in So. California. It is made from cloth from the Czech Republic, and it is called Vatanai, and I am ordering it in the 4.5m length in the Naglikti color (blue whales and fishes pattern). It is a woven cloth, so I will be able to tie the baby onto my back and it should be easier to clean up the kitchen and cook with him back there. We shall see. ;-) At any rate, I placed my order yesterday, and the Canadian middleman said that they could get it in 1.5 weeks from Europe, so hopefully it will get here by mid January.

There is a news story this morning about a tiger attack at the San Francisco Zoo yesterday. One young man was killed and two others were wounded by an escaped Siberian tiger named Tatiana. One disturbing part of the story was that apparently there was nothing wrong with the door to the enclosure. So the 300-pound tiger must have climbed or leaped out over the fence or 15-foot moat.

At my house here we have 5-foot rod-iron fences that do *nothing* to keep out the wild coyotes. I do not have dogs, but I have found dog-type feces in the backyard on occasion, as well as disemboweled rabbit carcasses. Also, the next-door neighbor witnessed two coyotes attacking and consuming a neighborhood cat in her backyard (I had warned the owner previously not to let the cat go outdoors). The point is made to me that my kids are not safe in my backyard, even though we live in a suburban environment. Now we are not safe going to zoos. It's not safe to swim in the ocean (sharks). I don't think we are at the top of the food chain anymore. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment