Friday, September 19, 2008

The meeting went well




I took care getting dressed today. I wore a crisp white shirt and black flat-front pants from Ann Taylor. With pearls. Professional. Here are pics of me after the meeting, posing with baby A.

Everyone was polite. And I got everything that I wanted. The most interesting part was when I asked to have a record removed from his cumulative school file under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The principal asked to see the paper and the moment she looked at it she said, "this is illegal." She said she would have it shredded immediately. And the references to the paper in the meeting minutes will not refer to the objectionable terminology directly, so the vicious name-calling against my son will stop there. Done.

And I asked them to put those other 2 items that were left off of his accommodations list back on, the use of the Alpha Smarts computer and the teacher checking the backpack to make sure he has all his material to go home. Done.

We signed the Occupational Therapy goals so that can start now. Done.

They agreed to re-assess him for long-term recall, because he scored unusually low. The psychologist says that the score might not reflect his true recall because she felt he had trouble paying attention to that portion of the testing. So shouldn't it be repeated? Done.

I asked what the procedure was to get an in-service seminar at the school to educate the staff about Nonverbal Learning Disorder. The principal asked if I could find someone to teach it, and I said that I could. She said she would work with me on it, as long as it was research-based. And that it would be for the staff that works directly with R***. I hope I can find someone good in my area to teach this. Won't it be great to educate them? They are still reacting to my son as if everything he does is because of Attention Deficit. They really don't understand his neurological condition. So I need to do research on this. But the possibilities are exciting.

All in all I think we are moving in the right direction. We will meet again in about a month to go over the results of the psychological and speech/language assessments.

No comments:

Post a Comment