Sunday, September 7, 2008

No more cheap tutoring at Score!


A few weeks ago the folks at Score! tutoring informed me that they were no longer offering the low-cost computer tutoring on site. They would offer computer tutoring online from home, or small-group tutoring on site. The online tutoring will not work for us, because part of the value of paying money is that *they* are the ones that have to cajole my son into doing his work and moving from section to section instead of me. He and I have enough struggles just getting through homework every day. I am NOT going to supervise him and crack the whip to get him through an online program. The small group tutoring is a good idea, but we have that covered already, as R*** will be receiving special ed help in small groups in the 2 areas, math and writing, identified by Score! I told them this, and also that, since they are no longer the best-priced tutoring in town, there is no longer any incentive to drive the extra miles to get there. There are tons of expensive tutoring services much closer to my home. So this means goodbye.

Plan B must now go into effect, which means I switched my son's tutoring schedule and loaded it up with lots of sections on keyboarding skills, and less on academics. I'm doing this because one of his accommodations will be that he can type instead of hand write his homework, and if he has no typing skills, this will not help him. In the long run, keyboarding skills will be a great help to him. And in the short run, he finds the keyboarding sections much more fun to do, as it is set up like a video game the way they teach it, so he is having more fun and less pressure these past few weeks at Score! This will all be over on November 18th, when they rip all the computers out.

No comments:

Post a Comment