Saturday, December 13, 2008

He lost his room

I get asked from time to time how my next door neighbors are doing. The ones whose homes burned to the ground. I don't know. I don't know what they were able to get out of their house in the 15 minutes we had to pack. I don't have the heart to ask them. It probably wasn't enough.

All I know is what my neighbor's 19-y-o son said. I invited him to come into my house a couple of weeks ago to help burn a CD of the pictures of the fire. I wasn't sure about the computer software, so he agreed to come in. We were in the upstairs office for a while figuring things out, when he wandered over to the office window to look out. He looked left and then right. Then he said, "Oh. This was my room." Something heavy dropped in the pit of my stomach. He grew up in that house next door. His mother was the original owner for the past 26 years since the houses were built. While she may build a new "dream home", he will never have his room back. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment