Thursday, August 30, 2007

good checkup & dental tantrum

Busy day today. I took the day off work because I had a doctor's appointment and my DS-8 had a dental appointment to have 2 cavities filled.

My appointment went well. The fundus measured 28cm, right on target since I am 27.5 weeks along. Baby is growing perfectly. I gained 5 pounds in 4 weeks, which is also right where I want to be. The heartbeat was 168bpm, and baby was flipping and kicking all over the place, so that was a waking heartbeat. My blood pressure was 111 over 60.

Then on my way home from the OB, I got a call from the dental office canceling DS's appointment AGAIN! He had an appointment on Monday that was already rescheduled to today. And I took the day off of work specially so I could "be there" for him for his fillings. I was LIVID. On Monday they told me the doctor had "personal problems" and today her daughter was sick. Now I'm not against her taking care of her daughter, but I was upset that she had nobody to cover for her and no way to compensate me for messing up my schedule, not once but TWICE. I told them that I needed to find a dentist who was responsible. The gal said she would call me back. As I waited for the phone call, I decided I needed to find another dentist, so I called around for referrals. I found a dentist who accepted the insurance in my area, and they could take us today. So I called back the first dentist and demanded last week's x-rays, which I then went and picked up. I REALLY wanted to get the work done *this week* before school starts.

So the new dentist disagrees that DS needs fillings in the first place. He showed me that there was a little darkening/pitting between the molars, but he felt that it warranted observation and not filling at this point. Then he showed me how much tarter there was on DS's lower front teeth, which should not have been there if he had had his teeth cleaned 10 days ago. I knew the first dentist didn't do a lot of scraping on the little ones, but I didn't realize she was completely ignoring the tarter buildup. And there was about 1/4 of a prior filling that had completely fallen out that the dentist showed me, and the first dentist never even bothered to mention. We went ahead did sealants. It was cute how the dentist showed DS about the sealants. He put DS's initial onto his thumbnail with the sealant and put the blue light on it. DS thought that was really great! It should fall off in a couple of days. And DS will come back during winter break. I agree with that plan. Lots of flossing and close observation. Good idea! And DS likes the new dentist a lot better. He was crying in fear when we walked in, not wanting to get a numbing shot, drilling and filling. He left with a smile on his face, and said he wanted to go back there *before* his December visit. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment