Thursday, November 1, 2007

Lots of amniotic fluid

I had my OB appointment today. The uterus measured 39cm today, and so the doc and I looked at each other, and he seemed worried. I asked if he thought there might be too much amniotic fluid, and he decided to send me down the corridor for an ultrasound. The ultrasound was fun. Baby measured right on for the due date of November 26, 2007. He appeared to be 6.5 pounds. My cervix measured a full 3cm thick (cast iron, remember?). His head circumference was right at the 50th percentile. The amniotic fluid measured 18.8cm, which is a high-normal measurement. Over 20 would be polyhydramnios. {Edit: a quick read around the internet states that over 25 is polyhydramnios. Normal measurements are between 5 and 25} I asked the doc what that meant, where it came from and what it would change with regard to the treatment of the baby and delivery. He said polyhydramnios could indicate diabetes, and the baby's blood sugar would need to be watched carefully after delivery. My blood sugar 2 mornings ago was 78, so I told him that. He said maybe I should take a few readings 2-hours post-meal, which I said was fine.

Otherwise, my blood pressure was 105/67, the baby's heartbeat was 153bpm, and the urine was negative for protein and sugar. I had read up on the meantime about the urine dip tests, and took the sample differently this time. They said that the urine should not be overly concentrated, so make sure to take a drink 1 hour before the test. I think my prior samples were concentrated because I usually have my doc appts first thing in the morning, only after eating cereal but having nothing extra to drink. Also, they said to make sure it is a mid-stream catch, so that the "protein" found isn't from any leftover pregnancy discharge in the area. It worked better, apparently.

I got one picture from the ultrasound. I will have to see if it will scan in. It is really hard to see what it is. There is a large circle on the right, the back of baby's skull, and a little of the spine from the neck. She could not get a face shot because he is locked into the pelvis right where I said he was, with his face to the back/right.

I was a little bummed to see my cervix was still 3cm thick and closed. I have SO many contractions. I guess this will be a typical pregnancy for me with little to no cervical changes until after 39 weeks. Except with my uterus measuring ahead, I'm lumbering around like I am ALREADY 39 weeks. Oh well. Just a few more weeks to go. I'll try not to complain too much. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment