Thursday, August 21, 2008

Family tradition


Some traditions are too precious to let go of. Our family activity yesterday consisted of baking Criss-Cross Peanut Butter Cookies. The 3 little boys "helped". And they loved it. I remember baking this same exact recipe with my grandmother in Chicago when I was their age. And as I think about it, she rarely just presented us with homemade cookies. She did the baking with us. I think she used it as an activity to entertain my brothers and I as well as a way to make homemade treats for us.

And the effort was not lost on my boys, especially the 9-y-o. He has thanked me repeatedly since yesterday for taking the time and effort to bake those cookies. He loves them and loves doing family projects.

DS had his last day of horse camp today. All week he has spent 4 hours a day grooming, riding and learning about horses. He continues to enjoy the Jujitsu classes. And his Hawaiian vacation with his father went well. I can see that the spark has come back into his eyes. The spark that was lost during the last grueling school year. All work and no play was bad for him. I am going to insist that he remain in Jujitsu class during the school year. I am not going to allow him to be subjected to 4 and 5-hour homework nights, night after night. I will allot a certain reasonable amount of time for homework, and what doesn't get done will be sent back to the teacher with a note. Enough is enough. Somebody has to stand up for this boy. And besides, students with special needs have as much right as any student to take part in sports. I hope I can be an effective advocate for all of his needs this year.

Next week's project will be re potting the house plants. I have a bunch of cuttings sitting in water. So I need to get a bunch of pots and soil ready. DS loves that. One more week before school starts for us. One last lazy week of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment