Monday, November 10, 2008

Dating Fun


So my big date turned out well, with only one super embarrassing moment.

I scheduled in a sitter from a local babysitting service. These are older gals, screened, with experience in early childhood education. The 30-y-o gal showed up with a suitcase full of toys, games and crafts. After she arrived I was able to put on my makeup and finish getting dressed.

Then we went to a mid-level italian restaurant. I decided on this one because I had splurged on the tickets to the show already, and I didn't want to break the bank any more than it had already been broken. Dinner was great. I had Mushroom Raviolis Al Forno, in white sauce, with a glass of Merlot.

From there, we went to see a play called The Heiress at the South Coast Repertory Theater. The play was amazing. Here is the description from the web page:
In 1850s New York, a widower and his daughter go about their lives, craving love but powerless to express their needs. Into their home comes a charming suitor who awakens the daughter's spirit and brightens her world. As the subtle psychological drama unfolds, audiences experience great theatre at its most compelling.

This turned out to be one of those thought-provoking plays that I spent the following day ruminating on.

So if you are still reading, I'll go ahead and divulge what was so embarrassing. Remember I said I splurged and bought the most expensive tickets? They were in the center section of the theater. Since I had bought them about a week before the show, I assumed they would be toward the back. Imaging my surprise when they were in the *Front Row*. Things were going fine for us until, in the middle of the play, my husband's cell phone blared out a loud, screeching song. He fumbled and fumbled and it took forever to shut the thing off, while I sat there covering my face with my hands. The actors happened to be on the front portion of the stage about 3 feet in front of us at the time, and they were forced to pause in their lines until the cacophony stopped. It was a truly horrible moment. My husband later explained that although he had his phone on vibrate, there is a button on the outside of the phone that controls a sort of MP3 player. And he doesn't really know how to work it. And periodically it goes off in his pocket and blares out music. Ugh! Our seatmates gently teased us about it later, and we laughed at it ourselves after the intermission, when the announcer reminded everybody to "turn off all beeping devices". Aaaaahh!

No comments:

Post a Comment