Friday, June 5, 2009

June Pleasures


I have been sticking with my exercise program. One of the rewards is that I get to see, up close while I walk, the gorgeous blooming trees of our neighborhood. One tree in particular, the Jacaranda Mimosifolia, is covered in purple blossoms. I fell in love with this tree when I came to So Cal back in my college days. In June these trees burst forth, and pedestrians walk decadently on a tender carpet of purple blossoms.
One thing that didn't strike me until this year was that the Jacaranda blooms at the very same time as its namesake, the Mimosa tree. Mimosifolia means that the foliage of the Jacaranda tree resembles that of the Mimosa tree. And Mimosa trees remind me of a very good friend of mine, may she rest in peace, who used to live across the street from me when I was in high school. This lady taught me to cook on my long latchkey afternoons. Here's to you, Lin Isabeau, wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment