Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Daughter Graduates This Weekend-An Open Letter To Her

My daughter graduates this weekend. From UCLA.

Dear Sweet Pea,

I'm so proud of you. Words will never be able to express the depth of my feelings of love and pride and happiness at seeing the kind of young woman you have grown into. You have always been an amazing person and you continue to amaze me. You have been a self-starter since elementary school. The kind of kid who makes everybody around you look good, by virtue of your competence and reliability. You still make your dad and I look like great parents, basking in your glow.

Life is fragile and I appreciate all of the time we have together. Every moment is a treasure. You have always been a jewel in my life. A kindred spirit, sharing the same, secret wavelength. We even laugh at the same silly jokes. I love sharing those moments with you.

And I admire you for your independence. To be able to graduate and have a job and apartment lined up already is every parent's dream of success for their child. Especially in these tough economic times, it is a feat approaching miraculous. But I know all of this is the result of long years of hard work and dedication. These things don't happen by accident. Even if you do manage to make it look easy.

My best wish for you is that you continue to have a life warmed by the love of friends and family, as you do today. You have absorbed the best lessons of your upbringing and improved the mix through your experience. I learn from you now. Thank you for being a great daughter. I could never have asked for a better one.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment