Thursday, May 17, 2007

I scheduled the amnio

The amnio is scheduled for June 20th. That is good. Baby should be plenty big, and the procedure should have a very low risk. This is my 3rd amnio with the same doctor. The technique has always been good there, and I am a little worried, but not too worried.

At the genetic counseling appt yesterday, I paid special attention to the age-related risk ratios that were of interest to me. It turns out that the risk of genetic problems at my age is exactly 1:18, or 5.56%. And I glanced ahead to the 45-y-o risk ratio. The incidence of genetic problems for a 45-y-o is 1:11, or 9%. That is the risk in pregnancies that make it as far as 16 weeks. Wow. I think the risk for 49-y-o pregnancies, not that there are too many of those got close to 1:3 or 1:2, I can't remember which. Eeeek!

We also will probably find out the gender at the ultrasound that is performed at the amnio. That should make it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment