Thursday, August 6, 2009

Ella Fitzgerald sings Misty



She is the finest female vocalist ever. I own a number of her collections, but I have not heard her sing this song until now. What a gem.
Female singers, as a general rule, have egos. Even years ago, I noticed, when I sang on an Episcopal church choir, that some of the ladies felt proud that they were sopranos. I was an alto. I tried not to worry about ego because truly, when singing in a religious setting, the music is not about oneself. But on the few occasions when the subject came up, I stated quietly that Ella Fitzgerald was no soprano. And over time I remember thinking that anybody can sing the melody. But learning to sing harmony is more of a challenge and to me, quite satisfying.

The lyrics of Misty are the epitome of romanticism. What is more wonderful than one person declaring their love in unmistakable terms. Naked in their vulnerability. Admirable in their courage.

Look at me,
I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree
And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud
I can't understand,
I get misty, holding your hand.

Walk my way,
And a thousand violins begin to play
Or it might be the sound of your hello
That music I hear,
I get misty the moment you're near

You can say that you're leading me on
But it's just what I want you to do
Don't you realize how hopelessly I'm lost
That's why I'm following you.

On my own,
Would I wander through this wonderland alone
Never knowing my right foot from my left,
My hat from my glove,
I get misty, and too much in love.

I'm too misty, and too much in love

No comments:

Post a Comment